The term “tanker” refers to a variety of specialized ships, such as LNG, product, chemical, and crude oil tankers. Tankers spend a lot of time in ballast since the underlying trades are typically one-way. Tankers are self-dispensing, and the majority of them have a number of pumps that enable a quick turnaround in port. Fulcrum Shipping & Logistics is one of the best oil tanker shipping companies in India.
Many tankers will be asked to heat the cargo (using the ship’s heating coils) when transporting specific oil types in order to decrease the viscosity of the cargo. Tankers are crucial to global trade. Oil tankers can be divided into several kinds. A crude tanker is used to move large quantities of unrefined crude oil from oil extraction facilities to refineries. The largest tankers are needed for the transportation and storage of crude oil in enormous quantities.
With the majority of oil and gas reserves located in a handful of countries and refineries and consumers located across the globe, oil tankers play a vital role in transporting crude oil and refined petroleum products to where they are needed.
There are many different types of tankers, ranging from those carrying crude oil, to highly specialized ships that carry liquefied petroleum gas and natural gas. Basically, there are two types of oil tankers viz. Crude tankers and Product tankers.
• CRUDE TANKERS: Crude tankers move large quantities of unrefined crude oil from its point of extraction to refineries.
• PRODUCT TANKERS: Product tankers, generally much smaller, are designed to refined products from refineries to points near consuming markets. They distribute the petroleum products such as diesel, gas oil, lubricating oil, and petrol.
The following are the classes and sizes of Oil Tankers:
• COASTAL TANKER: Less than 50000 dwt, mainly used for transportation of refined products. 205m
• AFRAMAX: Approximately 80000 dwt, which is the AFRA (Average Freight Rate Assessment) standard. 255m
• SUEZMAX: Between 125000 dwt to 180000 dwt, originally the maximum capacity of Suez Canal. 285m
• VLCC (Very Large Crude Carrier): Capacity up to around 320000 dwt. 330m
• ULCC (Ultra Large Crude Carrier): Capacity exceeding 320000 dwt. The largest tankers ever built have a deadweight of over 550000 dwt. 415m Deadweight tonnage (dwt) is a measurement of total contents of ship including cargo, fuel, crew, passengers, food and water aside from boiler water. It is expressed in long tons of 2240 pounds (1016.05 kilograms).
Oil Tankers have a commercial life expectancy of about 30 years. They represent a key part of the energy supply chain, and help ensure security of supply. Looking for the best oil tanker companies near you? Your search ends with us! Fulcrum Shipping & Logistics is one of the best oil tanker companies in Mumbai.