Transportation refers to the transfer of goods from the supply chain’s origin to the final consumer. Because goods are rarely produced and consumed in the same place, the role of transportation in logistics chain is crucial. Unless it is transported to the consumption point, an object manufactured at one location has very little value to the potential customer. Any supply chain’s success depends heavily on how well it uses transportation. To maximize profits, every business uses a variety of transportation methods and routes.
Modes of Transport
One of the most popular modes of transportation is truck transport. There are two segments of the truck industry. LTL, for instance, stands for “less than truck load.
• Package Carriers: It transports tiny packages, such as letters and shipments weighing between 200 and 250 kg.
• Railways: Prices on the railways are designed to promote long-distance shipments of heavy items.
• Waterways: This category covers transportation using ships and boats for bulk goods.
• Air transport: Small packages that must be expensive and delivered on time are included in air transport.
• Pipelines: They are used to transmit water, oil, gas, and other commodities. Transportation that utilizes more than one method, such as trucking and rail.
Role of air transportation in logistics
Because of its speed and wide range of connections, air freight is utilized by most industrial sectors and distribution networks for a variety of import and export operations, including:
• High-value products: High-end items where timely delivery and customer safety are priorities.
• Urgent goods: Goods that can’t wait to be purchased because they will deteriorate or will cost more to delay. These could include, among other things, perishable foods, medicines, humanitarian relief, commercial samples, and papers.
Transportation in logistics management
Planning and carrying out input, raw material, or finished product conveyance are all parts of the logistics process. It also takes into account the transportation service offered between the point of origin and the point of destination.
One of the key elements in the logistics process is transportation. Even though it is a crucial phase in the overall process, it is important to remember that this process is not just about transportation.
In essence, there is no logistical process if there are no methods of transportation. But without planning, there can be no effective transportation. One step thereby enhances the other, ensuring a strong performance throughout the entire activity.
Fulcrum Shipping & Logistics is a shipping & logistics company which provides best transportation services at efficient costs.